Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Faves of TwentyEleven Book Awards: The Scenes

We're on Day 3 and the award category for this day is:
Faves of TwentyEleven Book Awards
created by Inkcrush

Honestly, I had trouble finding the best parts of the books I chose for some of the categories. And I think I strained my brain a bit, so yes, I do sucked at taking notes. I'll really make it a habit next year.

1. Best first chapter: Across The Universe by Beth Revis

When I've read the first chapter, I knew Across The Universe would be awesome. Here's the last few paragraphs from Chapter 1.

"I am ice.

But if I’m ice, how am I conscious? I was supposed to be asleep;(...)People have been cryo frozen before me, and none of them were conscious. The mind is frozen; it cannot be awake or aware.(...)

Maybe I’m dreaming now. I’ve dreamt a lifetime in a thirty-minute nap. Maybe I’m still in that space between frozen and not, and this is all a dream. Maybe we haven’t left Earth yet. Maybe I’m still in that limbo year before the ship launches, and I’m stuck, trapped in a dream I can’t wake from.

Maybe I’ve still got three hundred and one years stretching out before me. 

Maybe I’m not even asleep yet. Not all the way.
Maybe, maybe, maybe.

I only know one thing for certain.

I want my year back."
***

2. Best climax: Feed by Mira Grant

When the climax came, I was clutching my heart like I was the one shot. Oh my God, I almost... No, that's not a spoiler. Just don't think about it too much.

3. Best ending: Graceling by Kristin Cashore

The ending was sweet. No spoilers, though. So that's all I can say.


4. Best plot twist/revelation: Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

If you've read my Day 2 post, you'd know how I was shocked by the turn-out of Evanjalin's character in Finnikin of the Rock. I really didn't see it coming. And the plot twist at the end of Deadline just blew my head off. I think I was staring at the book with disbelief for about an hour. No kidding!

5. Scariest/most disturbing scene: The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith

Everything about The Marbury Lens was really disturbing but what really did get me was the part where Jack was kidnapped. Really creepy.

6. Steamiest scene: Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward

I can't give an excerpt because it's too vivid and has adult content. :)

7. Best swoon-worthy moment: Anna and The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Etienne and Anna's telephone conversation! While I was reading it I think I have this huge grin plastered across my face the whole time. It's so sweet. 

"...It's more like... I miss this. This warmth over the telephone. Is it possible for home to be a person not a place? 

Bridgette used to be home to me. Maybe St. Clair is my new home. 

I mull this over as our voices grow tired and we stop talking. We just keep each other company. My breath. His breath. My breath. His breath.

I could never tell him, but it's true.

This is home. The two of us." -Chapter 29

8. Most hilarious scene: Anna and The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins and Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison

I've just re-read the email conversation between Etienne and Anna from Anna and The French Kiss and it just doesn't fail to crack me up.

And from Angus, Thongs is the part where Georgia almost shaved half her eyebrow by accident.

As well as this part:
Wednesday, December 2nd. 


8:30 a.m. 
Dashing out of the house, Jas and I almost fell into Mark, waiting by the corner. Jas (big pal) said she had to run to her house first and she would see me at school. I went a bit red and walked on with him walking beside me. He said, "Have you got a boyfriend?" 
I was speechless. What is the right answer to that question? I tell you what the right answer is... a lie, that's the right answer. So I said, "I've just come out of a heavy thing and I'm giving myself a bit of space." 
He looked at me. He really did have the biggest gob [mouth:] I have ever seen. "So is that no?" 
And I just stood there and then this really weird thing happened... he touched my breast!!! I don't mean he ripped my blouse off, he just rested his hand on the front of my breast. Just for a second, before he turned and went off to school. 


12:30 p.m. 
What does it mean when a boy rests his hand on your breast? Does it mean he has a megahorn? Or was his hand just tired? 


4:30 p.m. 
Why am I even thinking about this? No sign of Mark (the breast molester) when I got home, thank goodness. 


4:45 p.m. 
Still, you would think if a boy rests his hand on your breast he might bother to see you sometime. 

9. Most heart-breaking/tear-jerker moment: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Let me share 3 of my favorite quotes.

"But still, I find the need to remind myself of the temporariness of a day, to reassure myself that I got through yesterday, I'll get through today." 

“You know, I thought about that a lot these last couple of years," She says in a choked voice. "About who was there for you. Who held your hand while you grieved for all that you'd lost?”

But I’d do it again. I know that now. I’d make that promise a thousand times over and lose her a thousand times over to have heard her play last night or to see her in the morning sunlight. Or even without that. Just to know that she’s somewhere out there. Alive."
***

And that's it for Day 3. Have your own 2011 Book Recap? Share it by commenting and leaving a link down below. :) And stay tuned tomorrow for the Faves of TwentyEleven Book Awards: The Random

Just in case you missed the previous posts, you can read them again here:

9 comments:

  1. The Louise Rennison books never fail to crack me up - I laughed so hard I fell off my chair with one of them.
    I enjoyed Across the Universe too, looking forward to book 2. Her writing is so atmospheric.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. @barmybex

    Thank for visiting! And yes Georgia is really crazy that's why everything she does is laugh-inducing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fabulous list! I really need to read Finnikin of the Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great feature, thank you! I'm going to have to check these books out - I've only read Anna & The French Kiss from this list. Thanks for sharing, i'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Candace

    I think Finnikin of the Rock is one of the best work of Melina Marchetta by far. But maybe I'm biased because I truly love Urban Fantasy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent choices!
    Loved, loved, loved Where She Went.

    Lisa O. @ The Nocturnal Library

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome list! I've heard so much about the Feed series I really want to give it a try! I also loved Anna! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just did my top picks for 2011, I have #6 on my list, but the audio version, I totally agree, it's an awesome series! And my top pick for the year is Anna and the French Kiss, I felt in-love with that book!! I review audiobooks.
    New follower from bookblogs :)
    Have nice day!
    http://lupdilup-hotlistens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments. I really appreciate and lovelovelove them and will try to reply as fast as I can. Have a blog? Post your blog URL along with your comments below. I would love to visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...